Thursday, October 20, 2011

We made it! - by Alyssa

Well dear friends and family, we are in Haiti! 


We arrived this afternoon after 3 flights and one very long layover. I have already been amazed by God and things that he has been showing me along the way. I have seen His beauty and promising consistency in last night's sunset, this morning's sunrise and the lightning, thunder and rain tonight. 


Miami was a very unfortunate experience for me because I was feeling sick and so disappointed that it was happening on the way to Haiti instead of on the way back! But it drove me to constant and desperate prayer, proving again in a simple way how much we need God in everyday life. I was well taken care of by my travel buddies and soon after we boarded our plane to Port-au-Prince, God poured out His grace on me and I felt much better and have since! 


We met Dan, the founder of Faith Missions International, at the airport and already we have learned so much from him about Haiti as a country, Haitians, the orphanage and his heart for the orphans here. Upon arriving at the guest house where we are staying, we met Smith and Katia, the directors of Gift of God Orphanage and essentially the mom and dad to all 52 kids there. I loved hearing their stories and I so look forward to spending the next few days with them. 


We are all wiped out and definitely ready for some sleep tonight! We haven't met any of the kids yet, but so far it's been an incredible experience spending time bonding with my team members and hearing the background story on FMI and GOG and getting to know our new friends. I so look forward to tomorrow. I can't wait to see what God has in store for this little group that has answered a calling to Haiti. I hope it is more than we can even imagine. 


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:20-21


-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment